Interpreting is the process of translating the spoken word from one language into the spoken word of another.
Both interpreting and translation require a profound knowledge of more than one language. However, while translation deals with documents, interpreting deals with the spoken word. Professional language translators and interpreters must be able to convey the message intended by the originator into the target language successfully.
An interpreter must have the ability to understand the source language as well as the culture of the country where the language originated and then render that material into the target language. Unlike a translator, an interpreter must be able to interpret in both directions on the spot.
We offer several types of interpreting services including:
- Conference Interpreting Services
- Meeting Interpreters Services
- Certified Court Interpreting Services
- Escort Interpreter Services
What Makes a Good Interpreter?
Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition, defines an interpreter as “one who translates orally for parties conversing in different languages.” In addition, they must understand nuances and cultural preferences, blending these for complete audience comprehension. The following qualities are found in a good language interpreter:
- The interpreter should fit in perfectly at the client’s venue, whether the event is large or small, formal or informal.
- The interpreter must possess the linguistic and grammatical skills to flawlessly interpret conference dialogue.
- The interpreter must be knowledgeable in the subject matter discussed at the conference or event. Whether that subject is software, science, engineering, manufacturing or other business, government, or academic topics, the interpreter must be an expert in that particular field.
- If a client’s event requires confidentiality, the interpreter must observe the strictest level of discretion. If required, they should willingly sign non-disclosure agreements.
- Well-spoken, well-dressed, and well-mannered; the interpreter should act in a professional manner.
- The interpreter must have an understanding of and be familiar with both cultures involved.
- The interpreter must be able to express thoughts clearly and accurately in both languages.
Interpreter Code of Ethics
SLS Interpreters must follow a strict Code of Ethics while performing his/her professional duties. Our Interpreter Code of Ethics is as follows:
Confidentiality: All information obtained by the interpreter while on assignment shall remain confidential.
Neutrality: The interpreter shall be impartial and shall abstain from conduct that may appear to be biased. He/she shall not allow personal beliefs or opinions to interfere with his/her duties nor add unsolicited comments or make recommendations except to assist communication.
Accuracy: The interpreter shall provide the most accurate interpretation to the best of his/her ability without changing or leaving out anything that is stated.
Conflict of Interest: The interpreter shall make known any real or perceived conflict of interest. He/she shall not take personal advantage, financial or otherwise, of information obtained in the course of his/her work.
Ineligibility and Hindrance: The interpreter shall, at all times, evaluate his/her ability to uphold SLS’s highest standards for professional interpretation. He/she shall immediately communicate any uncertainties about his/her ability to successfully complete the assignment.
Certification: The interpreter shall interpret only for the language(s) for which he/she is authorized to interpret by SLS
Professional Courtesy: The interpreter shall provide excellent customer service at all times. He/she shall uphold a professional demeanor, be courteous and use the tone of voice appropriate to the situation.
Whether your subject matter is legal, software, technology, engineering, manufacturing or medical related, SLS provides interpreters who will match your requirements and your specific needs.
What you need to know about us
Our interpreters are:
- Professional linguists
- Fluent in two or more languages
- Experienced and reliable
- Pleasant to work with!
Our team comprises:
- ad hoc or “whisper” interpreters for small meetings, discussion groups and visits to and/or from foreign customers
- consecutive interpreters
- simultaneous interpreters for conferences
Each project is addressed individually:
- full pre-event consultation ensures a language service tailor-made to your business requirements
- SLS’s translation division can arrange translation of documents for conferences and meetings in advance
- experienced interpreters carry out thorough prior research to ensure a sound subject knowledge
- flexible linguistic expertise is available on-site for as long as you require (*)
What we need to know about you
In addition to the obvious details such as the languages involved plus the venue, date and time of the event at which you require interpreting services, it is helpful for us to have as much additional background information as possible. This ensures that our interpreters are well equipped to deal with all issues which are likely to arise during the assignment and can familiarise themselves with terminology specific to your company/organization. All SLS interpreters treat any information received for the purposes of such assignments confidentially and we will sign non-disclosure agreements if appropriate.
Plan well ahead
Days have a habit of flying by when you’re buried in work, so if you’re planning a meeting which may involve foreign language speakers, don’t put off making arrangements now. If you would like to discuss your company’s potential interpreting requirements, you can contact us. It’s never too early to start planning – indeed some of our interpreters are booked up months in advance!
To begin the interpreting process, you may request Free Quote by contacting us today.